I would like to share with you one of my favourite home made recipes. They are so easy to make and as healthy as they can get. And we all deserve to have a nice little indulgence from time to time. Also I make to give as a present to friends; they look really cool presented in a little box with a ribbon. The ingredients are basic and the preparation involves hardly any effort or time. In fact you could whip some up in the same time you ask someone to go to the supermarket to buy you some treats!
- 1 3/4 cup Organic shredded coconut
- ¾ cup Organic maple syrup or Manuka honey
- 3/4 cup Organic vanilla essence
- One large lemon (juice and zest) from yours or the neighbours garden
- 1 cup Organic dates
- 3/4 cup Cashew nuts
- 3/4 cup melted cacao butter or coconut oil (or a bit of both)
- 3/4 cup Cacao powder
- 1 tbsp Carob powder (optional)
- Little sea salt or Himalayan salt
- Soak the dates for half an hour so they are slightly soft (easier to cut and blend).
- Prepare a flat baking tray with some baking paper for the treats to sit on.
- Blitz the cashew nuts in a blender until they are very small. Add the soaked and drained dates (The date juice can be used in a home made smoothie).
- In a large bowl place the coconut shreds, dates and nuts and mix well.
Add the salt, vanilla essence, juice and grated zest of a large lemon (for an extra lemony zing add two juicy lemons- go on, you know you want to!). Mix all together.
- Finally, melt the coconut oil and honey (separately). I like to do this with hot water in a pan and a bowl on the cooker but you could use a microwave if you want to (I won`t tell anyone).
- When melted, add to the ingredients and give it all a good old stir using a big spoon or with your hands. This is where it gets mucky and sticky and you may want to use disposable gloves.
- Now grab a little bit of the mixture and either roll it into a little ball, or make a little rough oval shape with it and place it on some baking paper on a flat baking tray. This recipe will make around 20/23 individuals- depending on how big they are. Now place them in the fridge or the freezer to set. For the freezer, allow ten minutes and half an hour in the fridge.
And Now For The Best Bit
After the above bites have set, it is time to make the chocolate. Now, I do not mind if you choose to use shop bought chocolate, it`s up to you and you individual taste.
- For the home made chocolate, add all of the dry ingredients together and mix well.
- Melt the coconut oil/ butter then add to the dry ingredients, mix well until there are no lumps and the texture is nice and smooth. Finally add the melted honey/ Maple syrup.
- All you do now is to dip the coconut bites into the yummy runny chocolate. Either roll it around with your fingers or use a fork for dips- depends if you like to get messy or not.
- When all is covered in chocolate place again either in the fridge or the freezer. When set, they are best kept in the fridge in an air tight container because they taste extra special with a certain chill in them.
There you go! Special home made coconut love bites!